IF 2014 reflects recommendations made by both the Senate Intellectual Foundations Oversight Committee (SIFOC) and external reviewers. Several changes, approved by the President, characterize this new general education program. Changes include the following:
• Reduction of the number of Cognate required credits. Students will select one course, instead of two, outside of their major prefix.
• Elimination of the Technology and Science requirement
• Elimination of the Oral Communication category. Oral communication will be incorporated into CWP 102.
• Addition of the Global Engagement requirement, a re-configuration of the Foreign Language requirement
• Infusion of Writing across the Curriculum (WAC) into the majors
• Infusion of SUNY competencies, Critical Thinking (CT) and Information Management (IM), across the curriculum
In light of the changes, a thorough review of the existing SUNY Buffalo State's Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) was necessary. SIFOC and the Oversight and Assessment Committees revised the existing SLOs during spring 2013. CSCC approved the outcomes on September 24, 2013. Click here for the revised IF 2014 Student Learning Outcomes.
As a part of this review, members of the IF Oversight and Assessment Committees will be happy to coordinate a visit with departments, department chairs, and/or department curriculum committees to answer questions and provide information about the learning outcomes and assessment. To schedule a meeting, please contact Dr. Amitra A. Wall, assistant dean of Intellectual Foundations and First Year Programs.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.